Exams can be stressful and studying for them can be just as tough. Knowing how to properly prepare for them can be very helpful. Here are the top 5 tips to help you study for any exam.
- Be sure to understand your study topics in your own words. It does not matter how many times you have been told something from a teacher or textbook. If you can’t explain what it means in your own words, you will not be happy with your grade. You can not just memorize what you are learning and check it off the list. Get in the habit of explaining it in your own words what you are learning so that you will remember it better and are able to understand your study notes.
- Don’t be afraid to ask study questions.William Arthur Ward, who is one of America’s most quoted writers of inspirational maxims, said “Curiosity is the wick in the candle of learning.” Don’t be afraid to ask a question that you think is stupid. Embrace your curiosity, after all the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. Depending on what you are studying, it can be difficult to understand what you are trying to learn. Your teacher, lecturer, or other educator is there to help you learn and they are willing to answer your questions.
- Quiz yourself. After you think you understand a concept, the next step is to quiz yourself on it. Write out an exam and then try to duplicate the conditions. Make sure you turn off your phone, don’t talk, and time yourself. This will help you get more comfortable with the exam process and you can find out how well you really know what you are trying to learn. Flash Cards are handy for trying to quiz yourself. They are also great for boosting your memory and help you recall theory, definitions and key dates. You can also use them as a quick study session right before an exam.
- Get Creative with online study tools.There are many different ways to study so pick one that works best for you. There are many study tools and techniques available to help you study. Be sure to try many different ones to find the right one for you. Some good examples are online flashcards, mind maps, mnemonics, online study planners, as well as video and audio resources. Also bring study notes with you wherever you go. This way when you have extra time you have a quick study session.
- Set your study goals and create a flexible study plan. An important part of success is knowing what you want to achieve. Set your goals and make a flexible study plan. If you set your study plan too strict, then you will have problems when things come up. As you get closer to exam time, the more concrete your plan should be.
Using these 5 tips will help you achieve success with your exams. Remember the earlier you start preparing for your exams, the more you will remember and understand.